Walk along Wellington's outer Green Belt, from Raroa Station in Johnsonville to the Botanic Gardens via Mount Kaukau, Trelissick Park and Te Ahumairangi. Take in 360-degree views of the city, harbour, the Remutaka Ranges the sea. If you’re short on time, you can do the trail in stages.
- Toilets and water are available at the Botanic Gardens.
- You can buy supplies in Johnsonville, Kelburn or Wellington City. There is parking available at various entries to the park
- Pack adequate food and water for the journey. You can also stop for lunch at the café in the Botanic Gardens.
- Take warm waterproof clothing and durable footwear, along with plenty of sunscreen.
- Allow 30 minutes to return from the end of the route by bus or train.
- Plan your route before you leave and let someone know where you’re going.
- Check the track status on the Wellington City Council website.
- Get an up-to-date weather report from the Metlink website before setting off.
- The trail is steep in places, so a moderate level of fitness is required. Weather conditions can change quickly, so make sure you’re adequately prepared.
- Dogs must be on a leash at all times, except in Trelissick Park and the ridge line section of the trail on Te Ahumairangi.
How to get here
The trail starts at the end of Truscott Avenue in Johnsonville and finishes at the top of the Cable Car in Upland Road, Kelburn. You can also walk in the opposite direction. You can park on the street on Truscott Avenue and on Upland Road. There are regular bus and train services to and from Johnsonville, Wellington town centre and the suburbs along the way. Timetables are available from the Metlink website.
Map of Track
This trail currently has no photos.