Maara Roa Valley Loop
Circular Track (Loop)
A walk through farmland and around the Cannons Creek forest. Enter at Takapu Road and follow the track towards the right for views of the Cannons Creek headwaters and Cannons Head. Giving good views of the proposed Transmission Gully motorway route, the walk follows the farm track around to the left passing regenerating native forest and new plantings. Continue on to the bridge over Cannons Creek then a steady climb back up to Takapu Road for great views over Porirua Harbour. Not suitable for mountain buggies. No dogs.
The park has moderately steep hills and is exposed on the tops to wind, rain and mist. Weather conditions can change quickly so please:
- check the weather forecast before your trip
- carry warm and waterproof clothing and enough food and drink for your trip
- carry sun protection
- plan your route and tell someone your intentions
- wear strong lace-up boots or walking shoes avoid streams during heavy rain
Farmed areas of the park will be closed for lambing and calving; including both sides of Transmission Gully from the 20 August to 19 October 2018.
No public access is permitted on tracks crossing farmland over this period. Please plan your trip to take account of the temporary closures. Hill Road, Belmont Road and Normandale Road will remain open through lambing and calving, all farmed areas adjacent to this road will be signed and closed for the lambing/calving period. Access across the Transmission Gully alignment is also closed for the foreseeable future. Access points onto farmland will be signposted as closed. These include - Takapu Road, Boulder Hill, Upper Cannons Creek, Cannons Head, Belmont Trig/Cannons Head Track. For further information please download maps West Belmont or East Belmont or call 0800 496 734.
Dogs under control are allowed in the Korokoro, Stratton Street and Dry Creek Valleys. Dogs are not permitted on farmland. Permission is required for horse riding in the farming area. Please keep to the marked routes as you walk, cycle or ride in the farming areas.
How to get here
Via State Highway 2:
- Cornish St - a 10-minute walk south-west from the Petone Railway Station via the pedestrian overbridge and Pito-One Road. Or take the Korokoro exit from SH2 and follow Pito-One Road to the park entrance.
- Oakleigh St via Dowse Drive or take a No. 150 bus from Petone Railway Station or Lower Hutt
- Stratton St via Dowse Drive. The park entrance is at the end of Stratton St
- Hill Rd via Grounsell Crescent or take a No. 145 bus from Melling Railway Station (peak hours Mon-Fri)
- Kaitangata Crescent, Kelson or take a No 150 bus from Lower Hutt or Waterloo Interchange to the top of Major Drive
- Dry Creek via Hebden Crescent, near the SH2 and SH 58 (Haywards Hill) intersection. The park entrance is a 10-minute walk from Manor Park Station.
Via State Highway 1:
- Cannons Creek via Mungavin Ave and the Cannons Creek Lakes Reserve. Enter from the Cannons Creek Shopping Centre car park.
- Take a No.61 bus (Mon-Sun), 63 bus (Mon-Sat) or 64 bus (Mon-Fri) from Porirua Railway Station to Cannons Creek, Takapu Road, Grenada North. Trains from Wellington stop at Takapu Road station.
Map of Track
Total 5 photos. Click image above to view them all.