Cannons Head Track
Circular Track (Loop)
Entering at Cannons Creek Lake Reserve, you climb to Takapu Road, passing the Maara Roa forest restoration project. Continue up a ridge to intersect with a track running between Belmont Trig and Cannons Head, then turn left and follow the open ridge towards Cannons Head. The track runs further along the ridge top before turning left back down to Cannons Creek. Worth the effort, this half-day hike offers great views around the Hutt Valley, Wellington and Porirua harbours and towards the South Island. It is in wide open country, so take wind and waterproof clothing, strong footwear, snack food and plenty to drink. Not suitable for mountain buggies. No dogs.
The park has moderately steep hills and is exposed on the tops to wind, rain and mist. Weather conditions can change quickly so please:
- check the weather forecast before your trip
- carry warm and waterproof clothing and enough food and drink for your trip
- carry sun protection
- plan your route and tell someone your intentions
- wear strong lace-up boots or walking shoes avoid streams during heavy rain
Farmed areas of the park will be closed for lambing and calving; including both sides of Transmission Gully from the 20 August to 19 October 2018.
No public access is permitted on tracks crossing farmland over this period. Please plan your trip to take account of the temporary closures. Hill Road, Belmont Road and Normandale Road will remain open through lambing and calving, all farmed areas adjacent to this road will be signed and closed for the lambing/calving period. Access across the Transmission Gully alignment is also closed for the foreseeable future. Access points onto farmland will be signposted as closed. These include - Takapu Road, Boulder Hill, Upper Cannons Creek, Cannons Head, Belmont Trig/Cannons Head Track. For further information please download maps West Belmont or East Belmont or call 0800 496 734.
Dogs under control are allowed in the Korokoro, Stratton Street and Dry Creek Valleys. Dogs are not permitted on farmland. Permission is required for horse riding in the farming area. Please keep to the marked routes as you walk, cycle or ride in the farming areas.
How to get here
Via State Highway 1:
- Cannons Creek via Mungavin Ave and the Cannons Creek Lakes Reserve. Enter from the Cannons Creek Shopping Centre car park.
- Take a No.61 bus (Mon-Sun), 63 bus (Mon-Sat) or 64 bus (Mon-Fri) from Porirua Railway Station to Cannons Creek, Takapu Road, Grenada North.
- Trains from Wellington stop at Takapu Road station.
Map of Track
This trail currently has no photos.