The Walking Access Commission branches into eight teams:
- Regional field advisors - the public face of the Commission in the regions and the first point of contact for access issues or questions.
- Maps and GIS team - manages our digital maps and spatial data, as well as our IT systems.
- Operations - administers and implements our national strategy on outdoor access, creates and monitors our walkways, and resolves disputes.
- Corporate services - keeps our office running smoothly, dealing with finances, administration, IT systems and our corporate responsibilities.
- Partnerships - builds and maintains relationships with organisations to help them improve public access to the outdoors.
- Communications- tells the Commission's stories, makes sure people have the information they need about outdoor access.
- Senior management team - see below to meet our senior management team and organisational structure.
- The board - our independent governing body, appointed by the Minister for Agriculture.
Senior management team
The senior management team is led by our Chief Executive Ric Cullinane and includes Deputy Chief Executive Phil Culling and Strategic Communications and Partnerships Manager Asher Wilson-Goldman.
Chief Executive | Tumuaki
Ric Cullinane is the organisation's Chief Executive. Prior to his appointment, he was Operations Manager for the Commission for eight years, and built the Commission’s structure and processes from new beginnings into the organisation it is today. Ric’s career has taken him around the world with the Royal New Zealand Air Force and across our country during his time at Fish & Game NZ. Ric is trusted and respected with both the recreational and farming sectors, and understands the Commission’s role as an honest and independent voice for public access to the outdoors.
Deputy Chief Executive | Tumuaki Tuarua
Phil Culling is our Deputy Chief Executive and manages our corporate services team. The corporate services team keeps our office running smoothly, dealing with finances, administration, our IT systems and our corporate and statutory responsibilities.
National Operations Manager | Kaitohutohu Kōkiri
Kirsti Douglas has a wealth of institutional knowledge, having worked for the Commission for the past 11 years. Kirsti manages the operations team and the Commission’s regional field advisors. The operations team develops and implements policy advice, systems and procedures that enhance and extend public access to the outdoors.
Strategic Communications and Partnerships Manager | Pou Whakahaere, Whakawhitiwhiti Kōrero, Hononga Rautaki
Asher Wilson-Goldman looks after the Commission's communications and partnerships team. The team tells the Commission's stories and makes sure people have the information they need about outdoor access. It is also responsible for building strong and enduring relationships with the Commission's partners.