Chief Executive - permanent, Wellington-based
- Enhance our country’s awareness and enjoyment of the outdoors
- Strong and diverse stakeholder engagement
- Wellington City location
Access to New Zealand’s great outdoors is at the heart of the Kiwi way of life. The New Zealand Walking Access Commission Ara Hīkoi Aotearoa is the Crown entity responsible for promoting free, certain, enduring and practical access to the outdoors.
The Commission’s core functions include providing regional and national leadership on issues relating to public access to the outdoors; providing information to the public, Ministers and government agencies on access rights and responsibilities; and working alongside local government and community groups to create, enhance and maintain public access.
The Commission is seeking to appoint a passionate, energetic and capable leader with knowledge of issues relating to public access to the outdoors who will provide strategic leadership and overall management of the organisation’s operational activities.
Working closely with the Board, this role offers an interesting mix of policy leadership and operational management and the chance to have a real influence over the way people can experience life in New Zealand.
It’s an exciting time for the Commission, with local and national access projects in motion, a new website soon to be unveiled, internal system upgrades, and an upcoming review of the legislation which formed the Commission.
- Senior management experience and the ability to lead and support a small, dedicated team of corporate and field staff
- An understanding of the role and importance of access in New Zealand society
- The ability to identify and implement opportunities to build partnerships with organisations that have compatible objectives to create synergies and secure access opportunities that might not otherwise be available
- Demonstrable success in working productively and exercising influence within a public sector decision making environment
- Empathy with a diverse range of stakeholders and is equally at home working in the private and public sector as well as in rural and urban contexts
- The communication skills to increase the understanding of, and commitment to, access issues and opportunities on the part of both decision makers and the public
Applications close: 5.00pm Sunday 15 July 2018
Applications to: Nikki Walshaw at email@example.com
Position description: Available to view at mclaren.co.nz